Back to Video Blog

Mold’s Effect on Vitamin D Labs

🤔 So if mold reduces our ability to absorb Vitamin D, what does that do to lab test results?
Does Vitamin D look high or low?

👎🏻 LOW! 

If receptors are blocked, that means there’s less available. Mold and chronic infections are 2 common reasons for persistently low 25-OH Vitamin D, despite supplementation.

*That assumes you’re supplementing with good sources of course. A tip: my mold patients do better with emulsified forms.

Another effect of mold is that it may also increase 1,25-Vitamin D – a different form of D, meaning it effects how we process our available Vitamin D.

In order to overcome the receptor blockade, I use higher-than-maintenance doses to try to get the 25-OH Vitamin D lab between 60-90 ng/mL for at least 3 months, if not more.

But of course you know the best way to get good ‘ole Vitamin Sunshine…



What about Vitamin D labs?

So if mold and mycotoxins are down-regulating the receptor in your body to absorb Vitamin D, what does that do to your labs? 

In my experience with my patients it shows that your Vitamin D 25-OH goes down and stays down. And there’s a lot of confusion about that. People think well it must be chronic infections, which can happen. But mold can be its own reason for a persistently low Vitamin D despite taking supplementation. Because those receptors are blocked, meaning you can’t take it in and you can’t absorb it into your bloodstream. 

I also see sometimes if your glutathione is really low and you have mold and mycotoxin exposure, a 1,25-Vitamin D going up and that for me is a marker that you have mycotoxicosis, if you have mold exposure and some low glutathione status. So then we go and we test glutathione.

So it can be a little confusing. You can think well if those receptors are blocked doesn’t that make my Vitamin D go up in my blood? And actually it goes the other way. We see persistently low Vitamin D 25-OH on labs with people who’ve been exposed to a water-damaged building. And in my experience what we try to do is flood those receptors to try to up-regulate them again. And like I’ve said on other videos I try to control my patients to 60-90 ng/ml for at least three months in that range so we can start to bump those receptors up to take in more Vitamin D. 

And you just get outside! Please do that too.

So you can break the mold and take back your health.

This content is health information and not intended as personal medical advice. Viewing will not establish a doctor-patient relationship. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease or medical condition. The information discussed is not intended to replace the advice of your healthcare provider. Reliance on information provided by Dr. Jill Crista, employees, or others appearing at the invitation of Dr. Crista is solely at your own risk.

Back to Video Blog