MPA is not a mycotoxin

MPA, or mycophenolic acid, is NOT a mycotoxin.
Then what is it?
It’s a mold fart! 💨
In other words, it’s made when happily living, eating and digesting mold is alive and well.
It’s made from both Aspergillus and Penicillium species.
Why does it matter?
Mold doesn’t always make mycotoxins.
Mycotoxins cost the mold a lot of energy. You know, bombs are expensive.
But metabolic gas?…mold farts? They give it away for free!
Where there’s mold growth, there’s MPA
but not necessarily mycotoxins.
So if it’s showing up on tests, you likely are being exposed, either now or very recently, to a living, growing mold colony.
(check out my recent post
“MPA wrecks the gut” for more info)